I watched Being Human in the theatre yesterday and for some reason, Md Ridwan was excited watching it especially since it was a Chinese film. Don't ask why because I hate knowing the answer and I very much hate the answer too.
Anyway, this typical Jack Neo film had Singaporean essence, one a foreigner would never understand. As debated in class when we had the lecture on Singapore Cinemas, Jack Neo had his own comfort zone and he chose to market his films only in Singapore where only his people could understand Singaporean life, jokes and what everybody was familiar with, Singlish. I could say Being Human was hilarious to some degree, because I had moments when I caught myself laughing but when I realized that Jack Neo attempted to add in effects, and create scenes of the characters' thoughts with his own director's imagination, I lost my interest. Out of nowhere, Mark Lee and his conscience broke into a musical and pirouette through the set. Sure, Jack Neo wanted us to see it through his own imagination but it did not work for me as much as Bollywood films did because at least, Bollywood films maintained a constant style when they had songs and dancers out of nowhere. His films are fun to watch, because we are practically laughing at ourselves being Singaporeans but that's just it. Fun to watch. If he's going to market this to the foreign countries, then Singapore filmmakers should prepare themselves to hide out of embarrassment. No offense Jack Neo.!
When can anybody here be brave enough to produce films that can be such a hit, even to other countries. Anymore P. Ramlee around here.? Look at the third world countries, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia. They all produce excellent movies with great cinematography that our country can't. For goodness sake, don't we have the money.? Then again, it's the people that count. I mean Indonesia has a large population. Profit they make can never be compared to profits we make, no.?